« Home | I'm a bad blogger » | All Sorts of Pals » | Darby's Story » | Il Giorno di San Giuseppe » | "Applause" » | Fearful Knitting and Blogging » | I'm famous » | A Little Suntin' » | Alicia: do not read » | Soccer Mom Sweater » 

Sunday, April 09, 2006 

The good, the bad, and the recipe

The Good

They are blocking. My afterthought heel sockapalooza socks are done! They came out OK. I'm hoping the blocking does its usual magic and makes them look a little cleaner.

The Bad

My camera is throughly broken. It won't even take one picture anymore. The best I can do is remind you of the yarn I used for the socks.



Debbie Bliss Wool/Cotton

I was afraid that they would knit up to remind me of



But I decided (after much torture (through obsession) of the hubby), that they look different enough.

The Recipe

I realize most people don't want to make something they can't see first, but maybe I'll get a pic eventually. Basically, I made my own "design" through a mixture of web sites and information about afterthought (aka "peasant" heels). These are cuff down, and include any adjustments I would make next time. I striped them by hand, to make it easier to match them. Of course sock knitters know that measurements vary etc (I just felt I HAD to write that-all the patterns say it).

The Leg

Using a yarn of a similar weight to the wool cotton (Approx. 122 yds/50g) and a set of 5 size 3 (US) dpns, CO 52 with color A (red, in my case) and join in the round (13 on each needle).

Using k2 p2 ribbing, K 6 rounds in color A.

Switch to color B (green, here) and K every stitch for 6 rounds.

Knitting every stitch, and making every stripe 6 rounds, continue striping until you have 7 stripes total (including the ribbed cuff) and ending in color A.

Switch to B and K 3 rounds.

Preparing for the Heel

At the beginning of this round, drop color B and, with waste yarn, K to the end of needles 1 and 2. Go back to the beginning of needle 1 and K using B. This will have you knitting into the waste yarn for needles 1 and 2, and then back into B for needles 3 and 4. K 8 rounds with B.

The Foot

Switch to A and continue striping (6 rounds each stripe) until you have 6 stripes total (not counting the thick green stripe on the heel), ending in green.

Decreasing for the Toe

round 1 and all odd rounds-Switch to A. K one round.
rnd 2- (needle 1) k1, ssk, k to end of needle 1
-(needle 2) k to the last three sts, k2tog, k1
-(needle 3) k1, ssk, k to end of needle 1
-(needle 4) k to the last three sts, k2tog, k1

Rep rnds 1 and 2 until 6 sts remain on each needle.
Move sts from needle 1 to needle 2 and from needle 3 to needle 4. Use kitchener st to close the toe.

At Last: The Heel

Remove the waste yarn, picking up stitches on either side as you go. You will have 53 sts. Pick up 2 stitches on each side of the heel: 57 stitches.

rnd 1-starting on the right side with heel facing you, K all sts, picking one spot to decrease the extra stitch (all needles will have 14 sts now).
rnd 2- (needle 1) k1, ssk, k to end of needle 1
-(needle 2) k to the last three sts, k2tog, k1
-(needle 3) k1, ssk, k to end of needle 1
-(needle 4) k to the last three sts, k2tog, k1

Rep rnds one and 2 (ommitting the decrease in rnd 1) until 7 stitches remain on each needle.

Move sts from needle 1 to needle 2 and from needle 3 to needle 4. Use kitchener st to close the heel.

Weave in your ends. And there it is.

Wah! No picture... sending good vibes to your camera... Congrats on finishing your socks! Did you have any yarn left over?

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Bethro
  • From
  • Image hosting by Photobucket
My profile